Monday, July 5, 2010

Summertime Blues


I've been itching to blog lately and yet I've been unsure about what to say, or rather how to say it. I think it's partly due to the fact that it's an odd time here in Hong Kong right now and I don't think I'm completely alone in that thought. I suspect that other "expats" are feeling it to a degree as well, as so many of HK's temporary residents flee back to their country of origin for some (a) relief from the weather and whatever else may bother them about this place and (b) to spend some time with their families. The group of friends and acquaintances that I've acquired here over the past 9 months has depleted in the last few months as people go about their lives...moving around the world... it's fascinating really that so many people live like this. I always used to think of Life as living in a house in a familiar place, surrounded by friends and maybe even family, going to work, coming home, having a social life and then doing it all again, day after day...or something along those lines. Life right here, right now, is Oh So Different to that. That's not necessarily a bad thing of course, but it is an adjustment. A different lifestyle that requires a different mindset.

With Summertime in Hong Kong, comes an ever-increased humidity level. The end of June was quite oppressive, and it rained a lot. Big, fat, heavy rain. For days at a time. I started off thinking "it's just rain, why should it stop me going about my day?" Then after I'd got completely drenched despite the fact I was sheltering under a perfectly good umbrella, a couple of times, I decided to re-think that plan and I stayed home. I didn't end up wet but I did feel imprisoned and I know that was nothing...just a taster of what is to come as the typhoon season approaches.

Thankfully this last week has been quite different...we've seen sun, blue sky and fluffy white clouds for successive days and it makes such a difference. It's uplifting. I wonder if it's just a blip...or here to stay a while...hopefully the latter.





1 comment:

  1. so funny how the weather has changed there for the better for you. i felt for you when you mentioned being stuck indoors coz of that big fat rain.
    i fear that india's weather might be hot & humid not so unlike hong kong, but hopefully that won't detract from your enjoyment of this exciting experience!
    if only our travel paths could cross again. i really enjoyed having a photography buddy to experience hongkong & macau with ;-)
    if you fancy a trip to europe, i have work trips coming up to amsterdam and geneva. you could stay in my room for free!!
    xx
    jen

    ReplyDelete