Thursday, April 15, 2010

Half Year Review

We are now well into our 7th month in Hong Kong and just past the half way mark, and I thought a review was in order.


Of course it's always challenging to change countries, for various reasons, but of course it's exciting too. Lots of new stuff to take in and get used to, particularly when you jump continents and 12 time zones.


The first month was intense and challenging but we were fresh and new to the experience and that helps. The second month was exciting with all the travel that I did with Alan - while he worked, I must add, so maybe it was a little less exciting for him! By the third month I was starting to buckle a little as the dust settled and the winter season has presented some challenging days with all the pollution and grey clouds but in balance it has also brought with it an air of familiarity as we get acclimatised and used to our new surroundings. We generally know where to find stuff now and feel relatively confident getting ourselves from A to B. We feel more at home.


That is of course a very condensed overview. This is not the place to recap on all the changing emotions in any more detail than that but I thought a quick Top 10 of The Best and Worst Bits in Hong Kong might be fun. Purely from my own perspective you understand...and that's OK because it's My Blog :-)


My Favourite Bits


1. Hiking - the hikes here are great. A real hidden gem. For me, they are probably the best thing about Hong Kong. I love escaping to the hills and looking down on the city...or better still, the coastline...even through the clouds.


2. Taxis - this is something we could get too used to. I’ve hardly even noticed that we don’t have a car anymore. They are everywhere and very cheap, relatively speaking. They are not the most comfortable or luxurious form of transportation by a long shot and in some, you feel like you are placing your life in someone elses hands...but they get you from A to B as quickly as is possible without having to deal with the traffic first hand or find what has to be very elusive parking.


3. The MTR - the underground train system here is fabulous. Amazingly efficient with trains running on average every 2-3 minutes, easy to navigate and actually pretty spotless given the number of people who use it on a daily basis. So long as you are in the mood to mingle with others, it's a great and very efficient mode of transport here and covers much of the more built up bits of the city.


4. The Daily (nightly) Light Show - at first I found it very odd that so many of the buildings get all dressed up here in the evening and parade neon lighting and for some, even projecting lasers from one side of the harbour to the other, but it's growing on me, and for Hong Kong, it feels appropriate. We have a great view of a few of the buildings from our apartment, including a clear view of my favourite one and there is something strangely calming about looking out at the rainbow display of lights in the evening. It also acts as an evening alarm, signalling the beginning of the evening, whether you are in the mood to go out and party or not.


5. Shopping - You can find EVERYTHING here, you just have to know where to go! Of course, knowing where to go takes months of discovery and exploration but gradually you learn...or helpful AWA people tell you.


6. Eating Out - there is an endless supply of restaurants to try with new ones popping up all over the place on a regular basis. However, on the down-side it also means that the place you grow to love could close overnight too with absolutely no warning...but hey ho, that's Hong Kong for you - change is constant.


7. Travel Opportunities - there as so many interesting places that we want to visit while we are here and there simply will not be enough time. So many places just a hop away, relatively speaking. Places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Thailand, mainland China, India...the goes on. So far the places we have visited have been largely dictated by Alan's business travel schedule, with the exception of Thailand but we hope to squeeze in one or two places that we select purely based on our personal preferences before our time is up.


8. Friends - It was a bit tough at first but once you get in to the swing of things, I love how easy it is to meet people here and to form a network of friends and acquaintances. Mostly you are in the same boat...here for a period of time, looking for company and looking to make the most of your time in a New place.


9. The Contrasts - There is so much to see and do here, whatever your preference. I love the contrasts that this place has to offer. It is actually often quite difficult to take a photograph without revealing the diversity of Hong Kong. I love that there are a number of other small islands within a short ferry ride, waiting to be explored when you tire of all the hustle and bustle and just need to escape for a day. Not that you need to get on a ferry to escape it to be fair...I can jump in a taxi to Tai Tam Country Park and start walking the trails in less than 30 mins from my front door.


10. Visitors - I love that people want to visit us here! We will have more visitors here in 1 year than we had in nearly 4 years in Ottawa. Even with the compromised living conditions! :-)



My Pet Peeves


1. The Humidity - Yuck. We have 2 de-humidifiers working overtime and they have been on the go most of the time we've been here...they had some respite a few months ago but they work hard and it's a full time job just keeping them emptied!


2. The grey sky - It began in mid December and has barely shifted since.


3. The Pollution - knowing that the air you breathe is way less than pure has an effect. Some days it's actually physical in that your respiration is compromised and you find yourself coughing for no good reason.


4. The Crowds - Some days going out with the masses proves too much for me and I need to stay home. Alone. I have learned though on days when I feel more fragile but have errands to run, to time my outings around the morning and evening rush hours and the 2hrs that span lunch breaks. It's busy enough outside of these time frames but during them in some areas....well...it's enough to send a girl back to her apartment for a few days of restorative yoga :-)


5. Grocery Shopping - So yes, you can get pretty much everything you want here, that much is true. There are food shops that cater for various nationalities, so wherever you are from, you can eat food from your homeland...it will cost you...but it's there. The trouble is that there appear to be a range of food stores as in most countries but they all seem to stock different things. That might sound great, but when you are particular about what you like it often means having to visit 3 different supermarkets (at least) to do your weekly food shop. When you have to rely on your feet or taxis to get you around, this can be a issue as the stores are spread out all over the place. It means that I shop for food regularly and if you buy more than 2 bags full you're going to need to find a taxi to get you home sharpish so you can get that chilled stuff into the fridge ASAP before the humidity gets it and of course to prevent your arms from dropping off! Forget frozen food. Even with the cute little freezer bags they sell here, it's a pointless exercise. Or maybe I've just not mastered it yet.


6. Language - Most people speak at least some english here, certainly on the island but sometimes...just sometimes...you just cannot communicate even the simplest things successfully. I know I'm the one in a foreign country and perhaps I should be trying to speak their language but....it's can still prove extremely frustrating at times. In fact, sometimes, I'm convinced they do it on purpose. I also accept that could be my own paranoia setting in.


7. Constant Construction - I think everyone who is still in touch with me, knows about this one :-) If we'd have known about the renovations that were going to take place in our apartment block when we moved in...well....we wouldn't have! However, I am sure we are not the only ones in Hong Kong suffering in this way. Construction is everywhere. They knock things down on a regular basis to build something bigger and better in it's place. I wonder if it will ever end and what the price will be.


8. Manners - this is the best way I can sum up the lack of awareness out on the streets. I appreciate it's a cultural thing but why do people insist on walking into you, especially when you are carrying all those shopping bags back from your 3 supermarket-marathon trip? It's like you're not even there, like they don't see you but surely they do? Is it a personal space thing (in that they don't need any?) or a competitive thing (I'm walking on this bit of path and I'm not budging for anyone?) There are rare exceptions but most don't seem to mind bashing their legs on your grocery bags...I am usually more concerned about them breaking my eggs than they are about their bodies...


9. Apartment-Living - I miss my Home, although less than I thought I might. I miss having a garden. I don't like that you can't just step out your back door and into your own "outdoor room". Some days apartment-living can feel very claustrophobic.


10. Dim Sum - I'm sorry but I just don't get what all the fuss is about. The textures are decidedly dodgy and I have no idea how you can be sure what's inside...




1 comment:

  1. So, do the pros outweight the cons... or is all that noise a dealbreaker?

    ReplyDelete