Friday, March 5, 2010

Expat Life

I was asked the question the other day, "so what is a typical day for you in Hong Kong?"

There is no typical day really, I like to change it up a bit because for me, variety is the spice of life and although I sometimes need routine to keep me sane, it also bores me slightly, so it's a fine line.

My weeks tend to consist of many of the same things, just rarely in the same order.

Today though, I feel like I am really living the "expat" life. There is a slight twinge of guilt at being able to do this stuff but then again, it's all swings and roundabouts because there's also plenty of difficult stuff to deal with which I tend not to blog about so much, but all you need to know is that life tends to find a natural balance and today was one of the good days.

So, in case you are curious as to what I perceive to be an "expat" lifestyle (and who knows if this is true for the majority, really) I started with a late morning yoga class (and yes, I bumped into an english expat friend of mine there) and then I received a call from a new expat friend of mine asking if I was around to meet for lunch. As is turns out, I didn't have time for lunch before my pedicure appointment but I did run round to her place for a quick coffee. I made it back just in time for my appointment and sat down with my cup of jasmine tea and my Japan Lonely Planet guide book (thinking of paying a brief visit next month) and winced while my feet were tweaked, pummelled and painted. Did I mention I don't really enjoy pedicures? What I like is the end result...pretty toe nails :-)

After that I headed to the equivalent of Waitrose, called Olivers here where I picked up a few essential food items for the weekend. I came stumbling out of the shop with a very full bag of stuff and unfortunately I needed a taxi during the shift change-over at around 4.30pm so it took at least 10-15 mins to get a taxi...tsk....that's a long wait here...but soon after that I was home briefly for a quick change before heading back out again for an early dinner with my lovely husband who had just emerged from a day of conference calls with various parts of the world. Having had dinner and now back home again, I find myself one more a conference call widow on a Friday evening. It's a tough life but...it's all about swings and roundabouts...

No comments:

Post a Comment